Monday, May 3, 2010

Chettinad Lamb Curry

This is yet another chettinad delicacy from my kitchen. All my friends and family knew that I am very obsessed with chettinad recipes so this time my sister who took the privilege of passing on this recipe to me, I was not interested to know how she got it so I am not sure on its authenticity but I can assure you, "it’s very delicious". Anyway why bother about other stuff when it tastes excellent. Generally I adapt recipes to my taste, this is one kind of recipes I did follow faithfully and I have the taste and texture nailed down in this recipe and I doubt me trying another mutton curry recipe after tasting this one. This recipe is not too complicated and once if you try this, you’ll never go back to your own mutton curry recipe (like me). This curry is an excellent combination with idli. A plate of steaming hot idlis with mutton curry ….hmmm…. nothing can taste better than this..sorry vegetarian guys.


Ingredients
Lamb – 1 lb
Pearl onions – 15
Garlic Cloves – 10
Tomato – 1 medium
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
Paprika powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Cilantro
Curry leaves
Salt to taste

To Grind
Coconut – ¼ cup
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cardamom – 2

For Seasoning
Cloves – 5
Cinnamon – 1”
Cardamom – 3

Method
Chop the onions if you its too big. Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and when its aromatic add onions and garlic and sauté well and add the ginger garlic paste and now add the tomato and sauté until the tomato is mushy. Next add mutton/lamb and fry in slow flame for 10 mins. Add all dry powders one by one and mix well and add sufficient water and pressure-cook for 10 mins. When its done look for the consistency and add more water if needed and now add the grinded coconut paste and curry leaves and when its starts to boil turn off the flame and add cilantro generously. Enjoy!!

13 comments:

  1. My Fav..looks so perfect and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hy Swarna,

    Awesome curry with tempting pic. Recipe looks simple and interesting. do drop in at my blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent....pls try my chicken version...

    ReplyDelete
  4. U do not know how tempting it is for me to see these captures of my favorite..... I am just longing to start hogging on them very soon..... KUDOS!!!!

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mouth watering recipe....delicious recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, i prepared this gravy few weeks back, makes me hungry again, mouthwatering dish for the sure..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the Chettinad dishes..It's been ages since I had this lamb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love chettinad nonveg dishes. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the curry....looks favulous...drooling

    first time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
    ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



    sanyuktagour(bayes)
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so tempting.. will sure try this out... happy to follow you and it is my first time here... do visit me http://cooklikepriya.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your blog.I like it .delicious one.I will review it again.
    Please review my blogger too.
    Recipies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us. botan rice for sushi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I really appreciate all your wonderful comments....