Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tasty..Tasty..Yummy...Yummy Chaat - Masala Puri and Behl Puri

Chaat an all time favorite snack for any Indian. Masala puri chaat is my favorite one. This is very delicious and mouth watering dish. Always the road side cart chaats tastes great and better than some restaurants. When I was living in bangalore I use to miss the chaat from coimbatore , I dunno they always tasted yummy and different than bangalore chaat. Here in US I miss even the Bangalore chaats . Here is the recipe of the masala puri and behl puri I tried and the taste was so delicious it just took me to the coimbatore road side chaat stall.

Masala Puri
In coimbatore,for masala puri chaat they place the puris on the plate by making a just small hole on the top and they add boiled peas and masala on to it.I am making a similar one.




Ingredients:
For Gravy
Dried Peas - 1 cup
Onion Chopped - 1 cup
Garlic - 2
Ginger - little
Coriander Powder - 2tsp
Garam Masala - 1tsp
Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Green chili - 2
Cilantro - little
Salt as required

Other Ingredients for masala Puri:
Pani Puri
Onion Finely Chopped - 1 big
Tomato Finely Chopped - 1 (Mix onion, tomato, carrot and cilantro.)
Cilantro Finely chopped - a lot
Grated Carrot - 1
Sev - 1 cup

Preparation:
Soak peas for nearly 8 hrs and pressure cook them with little salt and keep aside. Grind all the ingredients under for gravy with only 1/2 cup of boiled peas to a fine paste. Reserve another 1/2 cup of boiled peas. Add the paste to the remaining peas and bring to a boil and cook until raw fragrance is gone and keep adding little water to maintain the consistency -it should not be too thick. Masala is ready. Now Place 5 to 6 puris in a plate and make a hole on top of the puris. Add little reserved peas into each puris and pour the masala on top of the puris and top it with onion mixture and little sev. Great masala puri chaat is ready.Enjoy!!!!!



Behl Puri
This is also similar to coimbatore style chaat.



Ingredients:
Pani Puri - 4
Puffed Rice - 2 cup
onion tomato carrot cilantro mixture
sev
Masala gravy
salt
little lime juice
Procedure:
In a big bowl put puffed rice , break in the puris to it, add onion mixture, and add the required masala to it,then add salt and lime juice to it and give a good mix and serve it with topped onion mixture and sev. Behl puri is ready.Enjoy!!


14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loveeeeeeeeee u for posting this...thank u soooo veryy much for the recipe..we are trying this now and will let you know how it turns out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u so much......for posting this recipie...this is the one I have been searching for all these days... its been long time been to my native city and I was badly missing this...but no more...will try today and let u know...thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have made this twice now and everybody loveddd it... this rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    The recipe reminded me of my college days. Would you by any chance have the recipe for making the Kaalaan (Mushroom fry), that we will get in the coimbatore roadside stalls?

    I have been searching for it for really long.

    Thank you,
    Sai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi you can find kaalan recipe from ramyaacooks. i tried it and its too delicious

      Delete
  6. thanks much - tried it out and it came very close to what i used to get in the tatabad ramnagar area about 12 years ago

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey i ve been looking for this recipe for God knows how long! Thank you so much for sharing :) Will try and let you know soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking for this for recipe for a looooonnnnnggg time now.. I tried this and I came out amazing.. Thanks for your Post :)

    I really loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You posted this recipe four years ago and its still hot. Thank your so much for posting this lovely recipe . Searching for this recipe for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what I was looking for. Cool. Do you have the receipe for Annapoorna kurma?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried this recipe and came out well. It reminded me SB Colony, Sasi Pani Puri's Bhel Puri.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work japanese sushi rice brands

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I really appreciate all your wonderful comments....