Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tomato Gravy for Idli or Dosa

This is a satisfying dish pairs very good with idli or dosa. This is a recipe of our family may be most of the families in tamil nadu. As far as I remember this is the best combination for idli other than sambar in our house right from my childhood. My mom used to prepare a big bowl full of this curry for idli and we end up eating 2 more idlies just b'coz of this tomato curry and in no time the bowl would be empty. I used to mix idli with that tomato curry and make a big mess in my hand and eat it ..eww.. that way it was even more tastier only in my child hood times not now ;-). Here is the recipe..


Ingredients
Tomato - 3 to 4 chopped
Garlic - 5 cloves chopped
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Green Chili - 3 slit
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon stick - 1/2"
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2tsp
To Grind
Coconut - 1/2 cup Grated
Ginger - 1" piece
Seasoning
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1tsp
Asafetida - little

Method
Heat oil in a pan , add the cloves and cinnamon and add mustard, urad dal and asafetida. When the mustard crackle add onion , garlic and green chilies and saute till the onion turns soft. Now add the tomato and saute till the oil oozes out. Add the dry powder and mix , if needed sprinkle little water and take care not to burn the dry masala powders. Add the grinded coconut and cover and cook for 10 mins. Garnish with cilantro and serve with idli or dosa. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and I really appreciate all your wonderful comments....