Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mixed Peas Curry

I made this dish accidentally, actually I wanted to make channa masala but I didn’t have sufficient chick peas for that so I had to make up with what I had, sweet peas and I ended up preparing something and at last the result was excellent, that’s what matters and named it as mixed peas curry. I made it tangier by adding the tomato juice, which was lying in my refrigerator for quite some time and made it little sweet by adding jaggery for the kids. My boy loved it and said its “scrumptious”, new word he learnt from school and I dunno whether he really meant it. Kids learn so many new words and they try to use it at the appropriate place and this helps them to remember those words and they use it again and again. Well, back to the recipe, this is a quite easy and fast to cook and more over very tasty side dish for chapati. I heartily recommend every one to try this recipe.




Ingredients
Chickpeas – 1 tin
Sweet peas – 1 tin or use frozen
Onion – 1 chopped
Tomato – 2 chopped
Ginger garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Tomato Juice or puree – 1cup
Cumin Seeds –1tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Chili Powder – 1tsp
Garam masala – 1/2tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
Jaggery – 1 tsp (optional)
Kasoori methi – 1tsp
Oil – 3tsp
Cilantro for garnish
Salt to taste

Method
Heat oil in a non stick skillet and add cumin seeds and when splutter add onion and fry for few mins and add ginger garlic paste and fry well.
Add tomato and give a good mix and all the dry powders one after another and add the tomato juice or puree and cook till the tomato is well cooked and mushy, if required add water.
Add the chick peas and cook for few mins and finally add the peas and cook covered for 5 more mins and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with Chapati or roti.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy n healthy curry..Perfect combo for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this mixed curry looks healthy and new to me.
    thanks
    prajusha
    www.icookipsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious.. right as you said, sometimes what we make spontaneously tastes best!!
    I've been to your blog before, somehow I forgot to add you to the reader list!! You have a lovely space here.. Will be back often!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I really appreciate all your wonderful comments....